Soccer Lead Instructor
Mobile Soccer Camp Counselor, Lead Instructor
United States Air Force (USAF) Youth Centers
Soccer Camp – Monahan L.L.C.
Salary $440 per week plus bonus and travel per diem
~~This is a summer seasonal job opportunity~~
Purpose: Run week-long (5 days) back-to-back mobile youth soccer camp on US Air Force bases throughout the country. Time commitments may range up to twelve consecutive weeks. Sessions will consist of 25-30 participants. Teach the game objectives, skills and rules of soccer each day to participants.
What are the essential functions of the job?
- The focal point of the camp is to introduce soccer through exploration and participation. Instructor shall provide training and instruction per the company supplied script.
- Supplies and materials are provided by Monahan LLC. Instructors will be responsible for understanding the proper use and function of all equipment. Equipment will be brought out, set up, used in sessions and then put away properly at the end of each day.
- Instruct youth regarding rules and etiquette of soccer mentioned in the purpose statement to a sufficient degree that they can participate in a game at the end of session. Organize teams and serve in a referee role during game sessions while intervening when necessary to interject teaching, coaching or address behavior issues.
- Foster skill development for soccer using the process of explaining the skill, demonstrating the skill, followed by leading drills to practice new skills. Positive feedback is emphasized during skill development sessions. Ensure participants are involved in all aspects of the training/camp.
- Lead five consecutive days of training, two sessions per day, Monday through Friday. The sessions last approximately three hours each. Breaks may be provided as needed.
- Ensure equipment and material is set up, and be prepared to lead camp no later than 15 minutes before scheduled session. This means that set up is completed by 8:45 a.m. Typically, first session consists of 9-12 year olds, and starts at 9:00 a.m. Second session consists of 13-18 year olds, and starts at 1:00 p.m. Candidate will be responsible for break down and storage of equipment after final session each day.
Lead Instructor will have the additional responsibilities for which they are eligible for bonus:
- Serve as point person for communications between Monahan LLC and base point of contact.
- Call-in daily after sessions to supervisor for review and general update. Keep supervisor informed of session’s content, communications with youth center, logistics and any other concerns. Text or email may be sufficient if approved by supervisor.
- Coordinate travel over weekend from one base to another. Plan route, decide on when and where to stop for gas and food. Make sure logistics for arrival are set ahead of time with base point of contact. Send a confirmation text that crew is settled and ready to begin week prior to first session.
- Retain receipts for all business expenses purchased with company card. Submit expenses per reporting requirements promptly. Submit reports within approved time limits.
- Responsible for maintenance of vehicle and trailer. Report any problems with vehicle and arrange repairs with local facility. Monitor mileage and ensure oil changes done per schedule and using authorized vendor. Report all actions to lease company.
What are the knowledge, skills and abilities required?
Candidate needs to have previous experience in preparing youth without previous knowledge to learn basic rules and procedures of soccer. Must have the ability to adapt. There are times when the participants have no interest in learning the sport. Often you are dealing with kids whose parents and/or guardians are deployed for extended times serving our country. They may have relocated many times. Your patience and understanding is required. Candidate must have the ability to conduct back-to-back training/camps at different geographical locations. He/she must also have a valid driver’s license, and pass a weekly background check.
Because you will be traveling with a co-worker you must be able to:
- Both instructors need to not only be able to drive, but be comfortable driving large vehicles (pick-up truck) with trailers, even through cities.
- Both instructors need to know how to back-up the vehicle with trailer attached.
- Must drive safely and obey speed limit.
- Both instructors need to have a positive temperament. Must have perseverance.
- Because each instructor takes turns leading a session, the instructor that is not leading and is assisting must be able to take direction. There are times that the assistant instructor needs to know when to take the lead.
- Understand that you are a team and be proactive. Do not wait to be asked or told what to do by lead instructor.
- Must be adept to traveling.
Before you depart for the first base, discuss your expectations for the trip. Both instructors need to be independent to do things on their own. Because you share the same vehicle, work out a schedule so each of you have access to the vehicle.
What are the physical, mental and behavioral abilities required?
Soccer Camp maintains a high standard for excellence. With no exception, candidates must be able to observe and maintain reasonable standards for behavior and decorum as required for interactions with children.
Candidates for this position:
- Must have flexibility, and the ability to deal with change. Be capable of running sessions under less than ideal conditions (I.e. last minute change of venue, class size, etc.).
- Must be physically fit to run a soccer camp. There are times that you might have to carry equipment the length of a football field. Because we do not have control of the lawn care of the fields (i.e., the length of the grass), there are times that you will pull or push your equipment through tall grass to set-up and take down your equipment. Every session you are required to unload and set-up the gear and equipment. After the session you have to take down and reload the gear and equipment into the cargo trailer. There is a lot of pushing and pulling of equipment. You must have the physical ability to handle this task.
- This is a summer camp you must be able to withstand EXTREME HEAT for two 3-hour sessions, especially for the southern bases.
- Strong physical endurance is required. There are times when you have a very limited break in between the morning and afternoon session.
- Loud voice required.
- Must be able to react quickly to emergencies.
- Must possess excellent leadership skills in encouraging the development of the participants, and be able to motivate youth.
- Need to have excellent verbal communications skills.
- Must be patient.
What authority level does this position have?
Candidates should be able to make command decisions. Owners set up logistics and schedule. There are times that change is required to meet the request of the USAF Youth Center directors. Logistics and schedule changes must be customer driven. Candidate has the authority to meet the highest standards of customer service to the USAF Youth Center directors. Candidate will have the authority to change script to keep the flow of the camp, but not to reduce the time of the sessions. Constant improvement ideas are encouraged.
Whom does this position report to?
Tom and Julie Monahan.
What is the requirement for this position?
- Experience in coaching and teaching youth in 9 – 18 year old age group.
- Must be able to lead team building activities without assistance from co-worker.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills and good attention to detail
- Must be able to obtain and maintain clearance to work with children-youth is a mandatory and essential component of this position and continued employment.
- Ability to manage and work with co-worker/USAF staff.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Creative thinker and innovator
Monahan L.L.C. coordinates the schedule with the participating USAF installations. Vehicle, cargo trailer, uniforms, equipment and materials are provided by Monahan LLC. Each USAF base provides lodging one evening prior to camp and the evening of the last day of camp. While traveling on the road, if hotel lodging is needed, Monahan LLC will make the hotel reservation. Things to consider before you apply; previous summer commitments i.e., weddings, concerts, job interviews, new job orientation, etc. As we are not able to accommodate request to take a break from the schedule or return home early. Family, friends, teammates, co-workers are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Resume highlighting experience.
- Three (3) professional references.